I. love. lists.
For real, everywhere I look I have lists. My phone, my kitchen, my living room, my car, you would be shocked to see my office! So many things to check off the list. So many goals and aspirations, so many fun projects, so many organization projects, so many some-days.
I have too many lists! I am betting you do too, whether it is on a post-it, you phone, planner, wherever… we all have too many lists! It’s always “someday”, “I’ll do that next weekend”, “I’ll plan a night next week and just do that one project” But I have this annoying, creative, all-over-the-place brain and I don’t just sit down and do one thing, cross it off my list and move on. I can’t find my list. For real, I have so many lists that I often go back and create a new “master” list, break it down and make mini-lists. I have done this for years and it has stressed me out for years.
I get organized, then I take a break
Does that ever happen to you? You spend an hour or two getting all organized, your planner is beautiful with stickers on holidays and washi tape blocking off special times each week, then you have a squirrel moment and go clean the cabinet where the cook books are and then its time to go pick up the kids… you know what I mean. You get on the right track, just to derail yourself and have to start over again the next time you feel disorganized! Story of my life, until recently.
I have decided that I have been working for over 2 years on my blog and business and things are moving, just not as quickly as I need them to be. Simultaneously, I also discovered Periscope this summer. WOW, my eyes have been opened to a whole new world of possibilities for an entrepreneur! I am not the only one! I have a tendency to read the same blogs each week, the same magazines, etc. and I have come to realize, these are not always true to the real world (epiphany, right!?) there are other busy moms like me who want to stay home with their kids and still create an income doing what they love. It is possible, I know it is. I also know that it’s. not. easy.
The biggest thing I have learned in the last couple months (while following some AMAZING women entrepreneurs) is that YOU CAN’T DO THIS ALONE! I try so hard to do every little thing alone, try to be super woman. Truth be told: I have no freaking idea what I am doing! Now, I don’t mean that literally, I know how to run my blog, how to consult with clients, how to create products, etc. but implementing all of this while being a mom and a wife and a friend and a volunteer and a Sunday School teacher and a coach and a student and a… it’s just not possible to do it all, on my own, without help. And I keep hearing the same thing from all of the successful people that I look up to:
“You need a coach. You need a mentor. You need people all around you who have what you want and have been where you are!”
It took me going to school to learn this!
Ridiculous, right? Most people know when you need the oil changed in your car you don’t look up a how-to YouTube video, buy all of the equipment and supplies, then do it yourself and start doing oil changes out of your garage, right? Well when you are a busy mom trying to save money and do everything yourself, that is basically what you are doing (what I have been doing!) I am learning slowly that I need help. It is OK for you to ask for help. This does NOT make you a bad mom!
How in the world do you choose what to do, not to do, when to hire someone, not go broke AND how do you fit it all in?
Well, that is up to you. (helpful, right?) Here are a couple steps that I like to take to get me organized and feeling productive!
- Know your priorities. What will make you feel accomplished? What will make you stress out if it isn’t done? What can wait until tomorrow… without guilt!
- Make a list (lol, but seriously!)
- Highlight the things you MUST do yourself, your top priorities and non-negotiables
- Mark the things that can wait until tomorrow… without guilt! 😉 noticing a pattern?
- Circle the things that someone can help you with and delegate – yes, your kids can help and they won’t die!
- Now put all of that in your calendar for THIS week. It is amazing to have goals beyond that, however it is not so amazing to have a 3 week to do list. Of course add in school, kids activities and sports, appointments, etc. But, we are trying to simplify your day to day… so keep it simple!
- Now that you have all of your daily to-do’s and activities mapped out in your planner, add your meals! You can plan around what you have going on and be prepared. Prep what you can when you have time to save time during the week, too!
What do you do to be more productive and not get lost and overwhelmed halfway through your week? I would love to hear what you do to stay on track! Don’t forget to grab your schedule template and test out my system!
Here’s to less stress for mamas!